Apple pie in a flaky crust. Lots of spices and good hot or cold!
Heavenly Apple Pie
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 T butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 unbaked piecrusts
5-6 medium tart apples
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Fill your unbaked pastry with the sliced and peeled apples.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Sprinkle on top of apples. Dot with butter.
- Place top of pastry over the filling and flute edges. Sprinkle top with 1 tsp sugar or milk brushed on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. ENJOY!
Vinegar Pie Crust
1 1/4 C shortening
3 C flour
1 tsp salt
5 T water
1 tsp vinegar
- Cut shortening into flour and salt until it looks like coarse cornmeal
- In a small bowl, beat water, eggs and vinegar together.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture.
- Gather dough into a large ball and chill.
- Pinch off half the dough to form a crust. Roll out to fit the pan.
- If you need a baked pie shell, bake in a 425F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
Prefer a little more spice in your apple pie? Try this one.
Deep Dish Apple Pie
5 medium Gala apples, peeled and sliced thin
5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 T all-purpose flour
juice and zest of one small lemon
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 T butter, room temperature
1 large egg, beaten
1 to 2 T raw sugar (optional, for sprinkling on top of pie
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine apples, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest, and spices in a large bowl.
- Toss well. Pour apple mixture into deep dish pie crust, piling high into a domed shape and scraping all juices into pie. Dot with butter.
- Stretch the top crust to make sure it covers the filling completely. Pinch the top and bottom crust together all around the edges. Make 4 small steam vents in the top. Brush the beaten egg on the top crust and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet (it will drip a little). Bake for 1 hour.
If you liked this apple pie, then check out these recipes.